Download PDF →
- Have you called your rep today? Hammer out budgets and deadlines now.
- Curriculum resources aplenty: How to Yearbook: The HJ Way, is available in print with resources online at LearnYBK.com.
If you’re new, read the Welcome section!
- Start teaching with online video tutorials for eDesign and InDesign. (Click the help button when you’re logged in to eDesign or check out the Learn menu on myHJyearbook.com.)
- Get right with your admins. Sync your calendars and introduce your editors.
- Set up eBusiness. Find it in the Setup menu on myHJyearbook.com.
- ll that book. Don’t miss the opportunity to sell yearbooks at registration or back-to-school nights. Consider offering the lowest price of the year at these events.
- Find your HJ kit and start making decisions about the book. Use the desk ladder or wall ladder to chart a coverage plan. Choose fonts, color palettes and designs using the kit resources.
- If you already have a theme for this year, decide if you’ll follow a traditional coverage model or an alternative plan, like chronological or umbrella.
- Get those photographers snappin’. Make sure your staffers are capturing the start of school.
- Review staffers’ roles, discuss workflow, approval process and begin gathering content for the first deadline.
- Start designing your cover and endsheets.
- Returning staffers should be planning the look and feel of the book. Theme carries over to opening/closing, endsheets, dividers and mods.
- Build type packages for headlines. Choose styles for caption lead-ins, subheads and sidebars.
- Some advisers start working from the back of the book with ads. Some start with the front. Choose which works best for you.
- Assign spreads to each deadline. Create a calendar and make sure everyone, including parents, know what’s up.
We have provided some survey questions to ask high school students to inspire yearbook coverage ideas. Use these 50 top questions for surveys or as a jumping off point for yearbook interviews.
Personalize Your Experience!
Enter Your School Name Here: