Last updated: 1/10/2024
California users: Click here to see our Privacy Information for California Residents
Before you use or submit any information to us, please carefully review this Policy. By using any part of the Services or otherwise submitting information to us, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of your information as further outlined in this Policy. We will continue to evaluate this Policy as we update and expand the Services and our offerings, and we may make changes to the Policy accordingly. Any changes will be posted here, and you should check this page periodically for updates. If we make material changes to this Policy, we will provide you with notice as required by law. Your continued use of the Services will signify acceptance of the terms of the updated Policy.
- EXCLUSIONS FROM THIS POLICY
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- LEGAL BASES FOR USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- WHEN WE DISCLOSE USER INFORMATION
- PERSONALIZED CONTENT AND ADVERTISING
- NOTICE CONCERNING DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS
- DATA RETENTION
- YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- INTERNATIONAL USERS
- THIRD PARTY LINKS AND SERVICES
- PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
- PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
- INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
- CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
- QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS POLICY
EXCLUSIONS FROM THIS POLICY
Also, please note that some information we collect is in connection with Services we offer directly to schools and school districts for school purposes via contracts that may contain different privacy protections in accordance with applicable federal and state laws (e.g., the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act or various state privacy laws). In the event of a conflict between the terms in this Policy and the data protection and security provisions in such contracts, the provisions in such contracts will govern with respect to such conflict and all other terms in this Policy will remain in effect.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information in multiple ways, including when you provide information directly to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as from your browser or device.
1. Information You Provide Directly to Us
We may collect information from you in a variety of ways, such as when you:
- Register for an account
- Make a purchase
- Enter a sweepstakes or contest or register for a promotion
- Complete a survey or provide us with feedback
- Complete an order or information form
- Request certain features (e.g., newsletters, updates, and other products)
- Use certain features that require your information to function (e.g., portions of our site that require log-in to participate)
- Communicate with us, such as through an online form
- Post user-generated content, including comments or photographs, to or on any of our Services, including on community forums and blogs
To use certain parts of the Services, you may be requested to submit information about others. For example, if you order a gift online and want to send it directly to the recipient, you will need to submit the recipient’s address. In this circumstance, the types of information we may request include, but may not be limited to, the recipient’s name, address and telephone number. Moreover, there may be content that you choose to disclose to a friend through the Services. If so, we will ask for your friend’s name and email address. We will send your friend an email on your behalf inviting him or her to visit our websites or check out our products.
Some of our online Services include chat rooms, forums, message boards, news groups and other community tools available to our users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information for both us and other users to use and disclose. Please be considerate and respectful of others while using the community to voice your opinions. We reserve the right, but do not have the obligation, to review and monitor such posting, and to delete postings that may be viewed as inappropriate or offensive to others.
2. Information that is Passively or Automatically Collected
a.) Device/Usage Information
We may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices or tablets) you use to access the Services. As described further below, we may collect and analyze information such as (a) IP address and unique device identifiers, and other information about your computer or device(s), including browser types, browser language, operating system, mobile device carrier information, the state or country from which you accessed the Services; and (b) information related to the ways in which you interact with the Services, such as: referring and exit web pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages and content (such as advertisements and videos) viewed and the order of those views, statistical information about the use of the Services, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Services, the frequency of your use of the Services, error logs, and other similar information. As described further below, we may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
b.) Cookies and Other Electronic Technologies
We may also collect data about your use of the Services through the use of Internet server logs, cookies and/or tracking pixels. A web server log is a file where website activity is stored. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer when you visit a website, that enables us to: (i) recognize your computer; (ii) store your preferences and settings; (iii) understand the web pages of the Services you have visited; (iv), enhance your user experience by delivering content specific to your interests; (v) perform searches and analytics; and (vi) assist with security and administrative functions Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as web beacons or clear GIFs) are tiny electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites, online ads and/or email, and that are designed to provide usage information like ad impressions or clicks, measure popularity of the Services and associated advertising, and to access user cookies. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Please note that you can change your settings to notify you when a cookie is being set or updated, or to block cookies altogether. Please consult the “Help” section of your browser for more information (e.g., Internet Explorer; Google Chrome; Mozilla Firefox; or Apple Safari. Please note that by blocking any or all cookies, you may not have access to certain features or offerings of the Services.
3. Location Information
We may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Services, in accordance with your device and applicable consent settings), and may use that information to customize the Services with location-based information, advertising, and features. For example, if your IP address indicates an origin in Chicago, the Services may be customized with Chicago-specific information and advertisements. In order to do this, your location information may be disclosed to our agents, vendors or advertisers. If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturers’ instructions for further details. Please note that precise geolocation information is considered “sensitive personal information” under certain privacy laws, and we process this information in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
4. Information Collected By and From Social Media and Other Content Platforms
5. Information from Affiliates and Non-Affiliated Third Parties
We may also obtain information about you, such as demographic information, from various third parties, such as business partners, marketers, researchers, analysts, and other parties that we may attribute to you based on your assignment to certain statistical groups. We use this information to supplement the information that we collect directly from you in order to derive your possible interests and to provide more relevant experiences for you with our brand and improve our products, analytics, and advertising.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Any company that is part of the Herff Jones family of companies may use the information you have provided pursuant to this Policy in order to provide the Services, for advertising, or to communicate with you. For example, we may use the information we collect from and about you for the following purposes:
- For the purposes for which you provided it
- To process and fulfill a transaction you initiate or to provide the features, services and products available through the Services
- To send you information about your relationship or transactions with us, account alerts, or other communications, such as newsletters to which you have subscribed
- With your consent, to send you SMS messages
- To notify you about new features and offerings of the Services, including, but not limited to, discounts, events, news about our Services, products, and/or special offers;
- To contact you with information, surveys, or advertising that we believe may be of interest to you both regarding our products and Services and those of third parties
- To administer sweepstakes and contests
- To process and respond to your inquiries or to request your feedback
- For internal research and reporting
- To improve the content and features of the Services or develop new Services
- To personalize the content and advertising that you see on the Services or on other websites, including across difference devices and browsers (see “Personalized Content and Advertising” section below)
- To enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services
- To administer and troubleshoot the Services
Please note that we may combine information that we collect from you and about you (including automatically-collected information) with information we obtain about you from our affiliates and/or non-affiliated third parties, and use such combined information in accordance with this Policy.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Services. We may use de-identified and/or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also disclose such data to any third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, and/or others.
LEGAL BASES FOR USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you (for example, to comply with: the terms of service of our websites or a purchase you made)
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our website and applications; operate our business and our Services; make and receive payments; comply with legal requirements and defend our legal rights; prevent fraud and to know the customer to whom we are providing Services)
- Where we have a reason to process the data in accordance with applicable laws
- Where we have your consent to engage in a particular processing activity
WHEN WE DISCLOSE USER INFORMATION
Herff Jones may disclose your information to or with non-affiliated third parties under the following circumstances:
- Service Providers. We may provide access to or disclose your information to select third parties who perform services on our behalf, including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, advertising, market research, customer support, fulfillment and manufacturing, data storage, analysis and processing, and legal services.
- Advertising Partners. As discussed below in the Personalized Content and Advertising section, we may share certain information about your device and browsing habits with third-party advertising partners to present you with more relevant advertising about our Services as you browse the Internet.
- Protection of Herff Jones and Others. By using the Services, you acknowledge and agree that we may access, preserve and disclose your information, including, but not limited to, any user content, if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access, preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce our Terms of Service, this Policy, or other contracts with you, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to your requests for customer service; and/or (e) protect the rights, property or personal safety of Herff Jones, its agents and affiliates, its users and/or the public. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection, and spam/malware prevention, and similar purposes.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may buy, merge or partner with other companies. In such transactions, (including in contemplation of such transactions, e.g., due diligence) user information may be among the transferred assets. If a portion or all of Herff Jones’ assets are sold or transferred to a third-party, customer information (including your email address) would likely be one of the transferred business assets.
- Public Forums. Our Services offer publicly accessible blogs and community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. Please also remember that if you choose to provide information on public features of the Services, individuals reading such information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge, and search engines may index that information. We therefore urge you to think carefully about what you choose to disclose publicly and make sure it’s information you want to disclose to the public.
- Consent. We may disclose your information to any third parties based on your consent to do so.
PERSONALIZED CONTENT AND ADVERTISING
1. Online and Email Analytics
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Services, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology previously described in the “Cookies and other electronic technologies” section to help us analyze how users use the Services, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive, and provide certain features to you. The information (including your IP address) collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Services. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
If you receive email from us, we may use certain tools, such as clear GIFs to capture data such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
2. Tailored Online and Mobile Advertising
Subject to applicable law, we may use third-party advertising technologies and partners that allow for the delivery of relevant content and advertising on the Services, as well as other websites you visit and other applications you use. The ads may be based on various factors such as the content of the page you are visiting, information you provide such as your age and gender, your searches, demographic data, user-generated content, and other information we collect from you. These ads may be based on your current activity or your activity over time and across other websites and online services and may be tailored to your interests.
To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out of tailored advertising. In that case, the ads will just not be tailored.
When using a mobile application, you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems to opt-out of tailored in-app advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator. We do not control how the applicable platform operator allows you to control receiving personalized in-application advertisements; thus, you should contact the platform provider for further details on opting out of tailored in-application advertisements.
For additional ways to out of targeted advertising activities under applicable law, see the Your Rights and Choices section below.
Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out. In that case, the advertising will not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of the above opt-out links or whether any particular company chooses to participate in these opt-out programs. We are not responsible for any choices you make using these mechanisms or the continued availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
We have implemented administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and/or alteration of your information. These safeguards vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect and store. However, we cannot and do not guarantee that these measures will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose your information since despite our efforts, no Internet and/or other electronic transmissions can be completely secure.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
a. Information rights.
Depending on your jurisdiction, you may have the right to make certain requests regarding your “personal information” or “personal data” (as such terms are defined under applicable law, and collectively referred to herein as “personal information”). Specifically, you may have the right to ask us to:
- Inform you about the categories of personal information we collect or disclose about you; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information; and the categories of third parties with whom we disclose personal information.
- Provide you access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you.
- Correct or update personal information we hold about you.
- Delete certain personal information we have about you.
- Opt out of the processing of your personal information for purposes of profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects, if applicable.
You may also have the right to opt out of “sales” of your information and “sharing/use of your information for targeted advertising” as described below in subsection c.
As provided in applicable law, you also have the right to not be discriminated against for exercising your rights. Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need to retain certain information in order to provide our services to you. We also need to take reasonable steps to verify your identity before responding to a request, which may include, at a minimum, depending on the sensitivity of the information you are requesting and the type of request you are making, verifying your name and email address. You are also permitted to designate an authorized agent to submit certain requests on your behalf. In order for an authorized agent to be verified, you must provide the authorized agent with signed, written permission to make such requests or a power of attorney. We may also follow up with you to verify your identity before processing the authorized agent’s request. If you would like further information regarding your legal rights or would like to exercise any of them, please submit your request online at here.
Depending on applicable law, you may have the right to appeal our decision to deny your request, if applicable. If we deny your request, we will provide you with information on how to appeal the decision, if applicable, in our communications with you.
b. Opting Out of Marketing Emails
If you have provided contact information through the Services and decide that you do not want a certain Herff Jones business division to use that information for marketing purposes, you can opt out of future use at any time by: (i) going to the link provided at the bottom of any email you receive and opting out of receiving future marketing information from the specific business division that sent you such marketing email; (ii) by sending us an email at email@example.com, and specifying which Herff Jones’ business division emails you no longer wish to receive; or (iii) through your account settings. Please note that you may not be able to opt out of emails about your transactions and relationship with us, such as emails regarding your account, requests or inquiries, and purchases of products and/or services.
c. Notice of Right to Opt Out of Sales of Personal Information and Processing/Sharing of Personal Information for Targeted Advertising Purposes
As explained above, we provide information about your device and online browsing activities to third-party advertising providers for targeted advertising purposes, so that we can provide you with more relevant and tailored ads regarding our services, and use analytics partners to assist us in analyzing use of our Services and our user/customer base. The disclosure of your information to these third parties to assist us in providing these services may be considered a “sale” of personal information under applicable law or the processing/sharing of personal information for targeted advertising purposes.
If you would like to opt out of our online disclosure such as through cookie and pixel technology of your personal information for purposes that could be considered “sales” for those third parties’ own commercial purposes, or “sharing” for purposes of targeted advertising, please click the “Your Privacy Choices” link available in the footer of each Herff Jones website with which you interact. You can also submit a request to opt out of our offline disclosures of information that are subject to applicable opt out rights by clicking here or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age without legally-required affirmative authorization.
Please note that if you have a legally-recognized browser-based opt out preference signal turned on via your device browser, we recognize such preference in accordance with applicable law.
The information discussed in this Policy is processed in the United States by Herff Jones, whose principal office in the United States is located at 4501 W 62nd St, Indianapolis, Indiana 46268. Your information will be processed in the United States for the purposes described herein. As described above, we also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise disclose your data to, other members within the Herff Jones group or our service providers in countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, in accordance with applicable law. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of Services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you reside. Alternatively you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND SERVICES
The Services may contain links to or “frame” third-party websites, applications and other services (e.g., including retailers or merchants where you can make purchases). Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites and services. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Services and to read the privacy statements of each and every site they visit that collects their information.
The Services may also include widgets and social media features such as the Facebook “Like” button, which are interactive mini-programs that provide specific services from another company (e.g. displaying the news, opinions, music, etc.). Information such as your email address may be collected through these features. These features may collect your IP address and set cookies to enable them to function properly. We are not responsible for nor do we endorse the privacy practices or the content of such third-party services. Any information you provide via those services is subject to their applicable privacy policies and is not covered by this Policy.
PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to provide you with the following additional information about: (1) the purpose for which we use each category of “personal information” (as defined in the CCPA) we collect; and (2) the categories of third parties to which we (a) disclose such personal information for a business purpose, (b) “share” personal information for “cross-context behavioral advertising,” and/or (c) “sell” such personal information. Under the CCPA, “sharing” is defined as the targeting of advertising to a consumer based on that consumer’s personal information obtained from the consumer’s activity across websites, and “selling” is defined as the disclosure of personal information to third parties in exchange for monetary or other valuable consideration. As discussed above in the Personalized Content and Advertising section, our use of third-party analytics services and online advertising services may result in the sharing of online identifiers (e.g., cookie data, IP addresses, device identifiers, and usage information) in a way that may be considered a “sale” or “sharing” under the CCPA.
The following chart details these activities:
Your Choices Regarding “Sharing” and “Selling”: You have the right to opt out of our sale/sharing of your personal information for purposes of online analytics and advertising by clicking the “Your Privacy Choices” link on the footer of each Herff Jones website you use. To opt out of the offline disclosure of your information to third parties for these purposes, please click here.
Other CCPA Rights. If we ever offer any financial incentives in exchange for your personal information, we will provide you with appropriate information about such incentives.
The CCPA also allows you to limit the use or disclosure of your “sensitive personal information” (as defined in the CCPA) if your sensitive personal information is used for certain purposes. Please note that we do not use or disclose sensitive personal information other than for business purposes for which you cannot opt out under the CCPA.
Retention of Your Personal Information. Please see the “Data Retention” section above.
California “Shine the Light” disclosure. The California “Shine the Light” law gives residents of California the right under certain circumstances to opt out of the disclosure of certain categories of personal information (as defined in the Shine the Light law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or in the alternative, that we provide a cost-free means for consumers to opt out of any such disclosure. We do not currently disclose your personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
California Do Not Track disclosure. Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on the Services for third-party purposes, and that is why we provide links to the various industry opt out pages referenced above. However, we do not currently respond to DNT signals. To learn more about Do Not Track, you can do so here. Please note that Do Not Track is a different privacy mechanism than the user “preference signal” referenced in the “Your Rights and Choices” section above, which is a browser-based control that indicates whether you would like to opt out of processing of your information for certain purposes, such as the “sale” of your information or the disclosure of your information for targeted advertising purposes, under applicable laws.
INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN
The Services are intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 without legally-valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time to reflect changes in the law, our data collection and use practices, the features of our Services, or advances in technology. Please check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Services following the posting of changes to this Policy will mean you accept those changes.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS POLICY
If you have any questions about our Policy, you can contact us by emailing us at email@example.com, or by writing to us at: Herff Jones, 4501 W 62nd St, Indianapolis, Indiana 46268, Attention: Information Security Department.