Top 10 Tips for Developing a Theme or Concept
YOU CAN’T PULL A THEME OUT OF A HAT. TAKE A MOMENT WITH THESE BRAINSTORMING SUGGESTIONS TO PICK THE PERFECT UNIFIER FOR YOUR SCHOOL THIS YEAR.
1. List what is unique to your school this year.
2. Check theme lists. But, make it work for you.
3. Make sure it is memorable and flexible enough to be developed into sidebar mods.
4. Keep the visuals – type, colors, shapes and patters – consistent throughout the book.
5. Decide how to carry the theme through the book. Put it on the cover, endsheets, title page, opening, dividers, mini-magazine, sectional graphics, folios and index.
6. Develop mini themes for coverage mods within traditional or unique sections.
7. Create mock-ups of the theme pages and hang them around the room. Live with the theme for a few days to decide on final details.
8. Brainstorm coverage ideas to use throughout the book and promote the theme/concept.
9. Create a stylebook to ensure consistency. Consider all type treatments for headlines, copy, captions, mods, profiles and folios.
10. Incorporate the theme with sales campaigns to hint at the theme/concept without giving it away.
Need help convincing your administrator to make yearbook or newspaper a class instead of extracurricular? Share this white paper with him/her to show them the value of what you are training your students for in the future.
Celebrate Four Fantastic Years with Herff Jones Photo Graduation Announcements. Share all your high school achievements with family and friends with personalized graduation announcements. Check out the video below for more.”I think it’s on the first day of school and I don’t know what grade it is, but I look pretty …
Hey Graduates! Congratulations –it’s YOUR big day. Graduation is an important milestone, and you need to look your best for your graduation day. We understand as a graduate, you have plenty on your to-do list. From planning your graduation party, to finishing final exams, to making end-of-year memories, this time …
Personalize Your Experience!
Enter Your School Name Here: